THE HISTORY OF TUBOD
The mamanwas were the original settlers of Tubod. Being nomadic in nature, the natives moved to the hinterland when Christian immigrants occupied the place. Agustin Mendez was the first Christian settler and considered as the founder of the place. He was an industrious person and was able to cultivate a large area of land planted with abaca, rice, root crops, and coconuts. Other immigrants from Bohol, Leyte and Camiguin had followed engaging in farming.
Originally, Poblacion Tubod was a sitio of Timamana, which was previously one of the barangays of Placer. It was during the Spanish regime that the place was named, as La Union Prosperidad. Abaca was the primary product of the people. They delivered their farm products at Placer using carts pulled by carabao as their means of transportation. In 1909, the sitio became a barangay and Agustin Mendez was chosen the first Cabeza de Barangay. There were lots of spring water sources discovered by the early settlers, hence, the called the place “Tubod,” a visayan term of spring. Cabecillas s equivalent to “Kagawad” in the present political structure were also chosen. They acted as sub-leaders in their respective areas and took charge in organizing their members whenever a voluntary work (Bayanihan) was needed. Agustin Mendez had prioritized the establishment for the house of worship and he donated a lot where the Catholic Church was erected. Later on, education was given due consideration, thereby Gabriel Sumania and Florencio Gallenero had jointly shared their acquired land and donated lot for the school site. At first it was a primary school that was being established. Several years later, complete Elementary grades were granted, thus establishing the present Tubod Central Elementary School.
In 1931, Barangay Tubod was placed under the jurisdiction of the municipality of Mainit. The barangay was then found having a big deposit of gold. In 1935, the Surigao Consolidated Mining Corporation explored and operated in the southern part, now called Barangay Cawilan. With increased employment from mining, people came to settle pasture. When the Second World War broke out in 1942, the company was closed. It was re-opened during peace time in 1948 and continued until 1954. There were succeeding on and off operations of the company. The local economy had been apparently not stable, until such time the company closed its operation.
The people looked forward for the development of Tubod, hence, leaders had exerted efforts in applying for the creation of the place into a municipality. As support for its approval, Agustin Mendez donated the lot for the municipal site. On September 18, 1957, Tubod finally became a municipality by virtue of Executive Order 269 issued by then President Carlos P. Garcia. The first municipal officials were appointed and started to run the government on October 4, 1958.